From 22 August to 1 September 2017 the PRIDE group had a Network Training in Russia. The meeting was organized by the Southern Scientific Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences and the Lomonosov Moscow State University and PRIDE. The meetings were in Kagal'nik, along the Don River and near the Sea of Azov, that is connected to the Black Sea, in Astrakhan and the Volga Delta that draines into the Caspian Sea. The conference with the titel "Where East Meets West: Pontocaspia, the historical dimension of the evolution of a unique biodversity" with students and partners from Western Europe and Eastern Europe, including Russia, Azerbijan and Romania. This is link to the conference excursions book. Many thanks to Vadim Titov and the SSC-RAS team!
The program included:
- two day conference "Where East Meets West" in Kagal'nik with partners from all over Russia, Azerbaijan and Romania,
- field excursions along the shore of the Taganrog Gulf of the Sea of Azov,
- field excursions along the Don river,
- an expedition to Manych, the scientific-expedition base of the Southern Scientific Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences, and excursion to the salt lake of Gruszkoe,
- field excursion to the Volga and Astrakhan biosphere reserve in Damchik
- field excursion to the outcrops of the village Selitrennoe
- field excursion to the outcrops of the village Seroglazovka
Frank Wesselingh, Sri Nandini, Sifan Koriche, Vadim Titov, Alexey Tesakov and Redzhep Kurbanov were interviewed by local television stations:
Rostov regional newspapers
Two day conference in Kagal'nik with (poster) presentations by the PRIDE researchers, and with partners from all over Russia, Azerbaijan and Romania.
Outcrop along the sea of Azov
At a branch of the Wolga in the Astrakhan Biosphere reserve
Excursion in the Astrakhan biosphere reserve of Damchik
At Manych Natural Reserve